A Jew’s Poem and a Celebrity’s Plea:
Messages on Pittsburgh in a Week of Tragedy


Pittsburgh continues to be the central focus of our emotions.  From vigils to articles, to prayers and conversations with people of all ages, we are all, in some sense, Pittsburghers this week.   
As last week unfolded, I also decided to connect in one other way -- to connect with the lessons of maybe my greatest teacher from Pittsburgh, the late Mr. Rogers.   For over 31 years, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood taught children and all of us so many important lessons.
Below are two Pittsburgh moments:  The first is an incredible poem dedicated to the baby who was to be named on that fateful Shabbat.  Of all that I read this week, for me, this was among the most jarring, heartbreaking and powerful.
The second is an inspiration.   My parents used to watch Mr. Rogers with me as a child, and highly recommended the movie, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” to me.  Among the many meaningful moments in the film, were the words of appeal that Mr. Rogers delivered to the Senate in 1969 to gain funding for public television.  I have attached a quote below and link to the video. His words speak for themselves.
May the souls of the 11 Pittsburghers be sanctified and always remembered and may our future be one where we embrace life through giving, caring, understanding  and nurturing.  
What’s Your Name by Zev Steinberg
Dedicated to the baby who was to be named at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, PA on Shabbat morning, October 27, 2018.
Little boy, what’s your name – do you have one?
Sweet baby, just eight days, what should we call you?
I have heard the sacred circumcision postponed for jaundiced yellow, but never before for bloodshed red.
Is your name Shalom? We long for peace in this troubled world. I hope you are Shalom.
Is your name Nachum? Oh, how we need to be comforted in our grief. I hope you are Nachum.
Is your name Raphael? Our broken hearts and bleeding souls need healing. I hope you are Raphael.
You should have been carried high into the congregation on Shabbat morning – past from loving hands to loving hands – on a cushioned pillow to receive your Jewish name.
Instead your elders fell and were carried out on stretchers in plastic bags. Their names on tags.
Is your name Moshe? Our unbearable anguish and rage demands justice. I hope you are Moshe.
Is your name Ariel? We need the ferocious strength of lions to protect our people. I hope you are Ariel.
Is your name Barak? We need courageous warriors to vanquish our enemies. I hope you are Barak.
The blood on Shabbat morning was supposed to be covenantal not sacrilegious, sacramental not sacrificial, sacred not unholy. The tears were supposed to be of
boundless joy not bottomless sorrow.
The cries were supposed to be “mazel tov” not the mourner’s kaddish.
Is your name Simcha? We need an end to sadness by bringing joy into our world. I hope you are Simcha.
Is your name Yaron? We need an end to mourning by bringing song into our lives. I hope you are Yaron.
Is your name Matan? We need the gift of children who will bring a better tomorrow. I hope you are Matan.
So little boy, what’s your name? Take them all if you will. Take a thousand names. Be peace and Comfort and Healing. Be Justice and Strength and Courage. Be Joy and Song and a Gift to the world.
Be every good name and every good thing.
And, Sweet baby, take one more name if you will – because I hope you will be blessed with a long, blissful, beautiful and meaningful life…
I hope you are Chaim.
Excerpt from Fred Rogers’ Testimony to the Senate
Delivered in 1969 in the hopes of receiving funding to continue his life’s work of educating children through television. For the entire transcript and “must see” video click here.

And this is what -- This is what I give. I give an expression of care every day to each child, to help him realize that he is unique. I end the program by saying, "You've made this day a special day, by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you, and I like you, just the way you are."

And I feel that if we in public television can only make it clear that feelings are mentionable and manageable, we will have done a great service for mental health.

I think that it's much more dramatic that two men could be working out their feelings of anger -- much more dramatic than showing something of gunfire.

I'm constantly concerned about what our children are seeing, and for 15 years I have tried in this country and Canada, to present what I feel is a meaningful expression of care.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog