The Holiness of Play: A Team-Written Blog with our KDS Kindergarten Teacher

This past Shabbat, I had the opportunity to share some words of Torah with the CSAIR community.  The focus was on the concept of play. I shared the two sources below--one refers to the importance of play, and the other refers to its essence.

“By play I mean any activity in which there is room for spontaneous invention and/or change...The child who plays early, continues to play and with some luck as an adult s/he will find a kind of play that people are willing to pay him/her to do.”
(Edward Hallowell)

What is the difference between a play or recreational act and the rest of the acts with which we fill our world?
A play act excels in the purpose which is not of outside but is found and lies within it. Amusement matters are not for another practice or goal...the act is for the play itself.  -
Rabbi Yitzhak Hutner


Following our discussion, Dorit Niven, our amazing veretran K teacher,  wrote a spot-on piece reflecting these ideas  I hope you enjoy!

All We Do is Play All Day
Dorit Niven, Kinneret Day School

Johnny came home from school. Mom asked “How was your day?” Johnny replied “Fine” Mom asked “What did you do?”  Johnny replied “I played.” Mom asked “What else did you do?” Johnny replied “I told you, I played!”

Translation:

I was making choices
-Who will I play with?
- What will I play?

I was following the rules.
-What are the rules of the game
-How many people can play?

I was planning ahead and strategizing.
-Connect 4:  - which tile would get me to block my opponent?
         - which tile would make me the winner?

Checkers: Which move will get me closer to my goal?

Blocks: Which blocks do I need to create the structure I want so that it will remain intact?
How many blocks will I need?
Which blocks will give me the angle I want to create an incline, or balance my structure.
Let’s count how many blocks we used.
Let’s work on the signs we need a “one way, exit, enter, red light, green light etc.”
Which of my friends do I want to help me create my structure?

Puzzle: The teacher told us to work on the frame first and then things become easier.
Which one of my friends is good at puzzle making?
Let’s count the pieces making up the frame?

Compromise: You play with me and I’ll play with you.
Show me how to do this and I’ll show you what I can do.

Taking turns: I wanted to play this game, but my friend wanted to play another game. Let’s take turns.

Mom replied “Johnny, I guess you had a great day playing.” “Yes Mom, I told you! Playing is what I did all day!” said Johnny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog